The Mount Vernon School District is located 60 miles north of Seattle in the fertile Skagit Valley. We are a growing and diverse school district that employs nearly 900 people serving 6,000+ students in grades kindergarten-12.
* Six elementary schools (grades K-6)
* Two middle schools (grades 7-8)
* One high school (grades 9-12)
* One homeschool parent partnership (grades K-12)
Our graduates are extraordinary people who embrace diversity. They are critical and inspired thinkers. They are passionate in pursuit of their goals and aspirations, and they are committed to their communities and to the betterment of society.
To expect, encourage, and facilitate the pursuit of excellence in our students, preparing them
for a global environment in which life‐long learning is critical to their success and happiness.
- Early Learning. Ensure that every student completes kindergarten with the skills needed to be successful in their further education.
- Quality Instruction. Engage and inspire every student through powerful instruction, fostering development of critical thinking and problem solving skills and motivating academic achievement through high expectations.
- Family Partnerships. Engage families to provide encouragement and support to students, ensuring that student needs are met and their educational opportunities are enhanced.
- Creative Independence. Encourage and facilitate student independence, self‐motivation, perseverance, and creativity, preparing our graduates for continuing education, careers, and fulfilling lives.
Evidence‐Based Foundational Principles:
- District communication that is open, effective, and reciprocal.
- Responsible stewardship, assuring the responsive and productive management of district resources.
- A school climate that emphasizes student safety, a healthy lifestyle, and respect for faculty and peers.
- Professional collaboration that is focused on increasing learning for all students.
- A broad curriculum that includes the arts and provides opportunities for students to explore a wide range of interests.