In the Mount Vernon School District, we understand the importance of establishing and maintaining close partnerships with families and the larger community. This means, in part, asking for and listening to input on the direction our schools should take. Our Board of Directors used the input from staff, students, parents, and other community members to prepare the District’s mission and vision and establish goals that will guide our focus for the next 3–5 years:
100% of our students will graduate with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in post-secondary education, careers, and life.
To graduate inspired and critical thinkers who embrace diversity and are committed to the betterment of their own lives and the lives of others.
To expect, encourage, and facilitate the pursuit of excellence and life-long learning in our students, equipping them for future success and happiness.
1. Early Learning. Promote school readiness for kindergarten and foster successful transitions throughout grades K-3, ensuring students meet grade level standards in reading and math by 3rd grade.
2. Powerful Teaching and Learning. Inspire every student to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, through high expectations and instruction that is engaging, research-based, and relevant.
3. Parent & Community Engagement. Embrace the strengths of the district's various communities and organizations. Work together with families and other partners to provide students with powerful learning experiences that lead to their success.
4. Individual Determination & Creativity. Encourage, develop, and strengthen student independence, perseverance, creativity, and a willingness to take risks and embrace new ideas, laying the foundation for continuous learning.
*Click here to see our newly adopted Strategic Goal, Vision and Mission and the Commitment to our students.
1. Equity: The commitment to providing every student what they need to be successful.
2. A school climate that emphasizes student safety, health and well being, and respect for all members of the school community.
3. Professional collaboration that is focused on increasing performance at all levels of the district. <